On January 19, 2016, the Centre hosted a two-hour online symposium, Translating Aboriginal Traditions to Employment.
The Centre welcomed a handful of knowledgeable and thoughtful individuals to perform and present at our first live streaming event, which was also one of our most well-attended online events to date. Thank you to all of our speakers and performers:
- Elders Joe and Esther Calder
- Shelley Joseph, Public Engagement Lead & Cultural Advisor, Reconciliation Canada
- Paulette Seymour, Director of Employment Services, ACCESS
- Moon Pellett, Employment Advisor, Open Door Group, Lillooet Work BC
- Gudaad – Andrea Doolan, Case Manager, ACCESS DTES Work BC
- Tracy Joseph, Employment Advisor, Lillooet Friendship Centre, Work BC
In addition to the general slide deck, there were a number of useful handouts attached to the event:
- A New Way Forward for Aboriginals and All Canadians (presentation by Shelley Joseph)
- Illuminating Hidden History of TRC in BC
- UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada: Calls to Action
- Map of First Nations of British Columbia
Finally, we would like to acknowledge Christine Buchanan, Director of Diversity and Disability Services at Open Door Group, for her instrumental coordination of this event. We would not have been able to host it without her! The full video recording is available below.